Top Ad unit 728 × 90

Travel Destinations

Destination

THE LITTLE MISS LIBERTY


It was a dream come true  for the little boy in me when I finally saw the Statue of Liberty.  We were standing on Liberty Park where we stroll that lazy afternoon after a short drive from Queens, New York.  I recalled there was no boat trip to the Ellis Island so where we were was just good enough to see the symbol of freedom and democracy. 
The Statue of Liberty was a gift from the French to the United States. For me, it was the biggest gift, literally speaking and of course I never imagined that I can find anything like that anywhere in the world. But I was wrong, because when I visited Guam for the first time too, my daughter and her husband took me to Liberty Park.


Liberty Park on Guam is where the replica of the Statue of Liberty can be found outside the United States mainland.  Of course, everybody knows that Guam Island, in the Pacific, is a territory of the United States and it is even branded as "Guam: Where America's Day Begins".
Going around the platform where Little Miss Liberty was installed, I imagined how relevant was  she to the life of the people of Guam.  Since there was no one who can explain this to me,  I just decided to explain her symbolism on Guam this way: The Chamorros and the local residents of Guam, embraces Miss Liberty and her ideals of Freedom, Liberty and Equality.  Guam embraces her as a symbol of Light, Prosperity and the Fulfillment of every resident and immigrant's American Dream.

So, who was responsible for installing the Statue of Liberty on Guam?  No less than the Boy Scouts of America when they celebrated their 40th Anniversary in 1950.  The site that they selected is the seafront near the Chamorro Village, within the Paseo de Susana.  According to Guam's Guide Book, this site offers a great view of the arriving boats each evening and surf enthusiasts who catch waves at the boat basin.
So, the next time you visit Guam make sure you dropped by Miss Liberty and enjoy your day in the park.


  (Text and Photo by Touristang Pobre)
THE LITTLE MISS LIBERTY Reviewed by Touristang Pobre on 7:14:00 AM Rating: 5

1 comment:

  1. States of Liberty is a beautiful attraction in New York City. Every year most people visit there and see this attraction. because it is very popular attraction in this city. Recently I visited this city with my friends. Now go to enjoy cheap tours in las vegas.

    ReplyDelete

Share your awesome thoughts on this post.

All Rights Reserved by Touristang Pobre © 2014 - 2016

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Theme images by konradlew. Powered by Blogger.