Top Ad unit 728 × 90

Travel Destinations

Destination

TOLEDO CITY: YOUR GATEWAY TO CEBU & NEGROS ISLAND

TOLEDO CITY YOUR GATEWAY TO CEBU AND NEGROS ISLAND

By Henry Libo-on


* * * * * * * * *


TOLEDO PORT

The Port of Toledo, located on the western portion of the province of Cebu is the jump-off point of all passengers entering Cebu and leaving Cebu for the island of Negros.  The Port of San Carlos City in Negros Occidental is the port of entry from Toledo.

However, there are two other ports on the western side of Cebu all facing Negros Island.  These ports in Cebu are Tabuelan and Liloan at Santander Township.  Vessels coming from Tabuelan dock at Escalante Port in Negros while the vessels coming from Liloan Port in Santander dock at Sibulan Port in Negros.

Most passengers leaving Cebu, just like myself were bound for Bacolod City, my hometown.  Other passengers who were with me were going to Iloilo City and their jump-off point is the Bredco Port at the Reclamation Area in Bacolod City.  While the others are going to Iloilo City en-route to their trip to the town of Caticlan, province of Aklan in Panay,   From Caticlan, some of them were going to Romblon or Mindoro by RoRo.  While others were going to Pasay City, onboard the bus from Caticlan then RoRo vessel, up to Batangas, and Cubao Quezon City or the bus terminal in Pasay City.  I just imagined the arduous travel they will have to make to reach their final destinations.

On the other hand, the Port of Toledo is the entry point of a passenger going to Cebu who will be staying in Cebu or en-route to their final destinations to other islands and provinces in the Visayas and Mindanao areas through the International Port of Cebu located in the downtown area of Cebu City proper.

* * * * * * *
 

There are three (3) ports that service the Cebu Island to Negros Island Boat Services. 
Link # 1 - Tabuelan Port (Cebu) - Escalante Port (Negros)  
Link # 2 - Toledo Port (Cebu) - San Carlos Port (Negros) 
Link # 3 - Liloan Port (Santander, Cebu) - Sibulan Port (Negros) 

Passengers will choose the port that is near their destination or will allow shorter travel time.  For example, if I live in Kabankalan City, Negros Occidental, I will go to Puerto del Sur or the Liloan Port or also known as Santander Port because it is only 30 minutes to Sibulan Port and from the port, I can ride the Ceres Bus going to Kabankalan. Travel time is around two (2) to three (3) hours.  A better option if I will go to Toledo Port and go to Negros via San Carlos City and travel around Negros before reaching Kabankalan.  I hope you get my point. 


So, whichever is nearer to the passengers' destination, that is the port that they will choose to take  - - as a Passenger or as an owner of Car, Truck, Motorcycle, or Cargo.  Just check your local service providers of the schedule of Buses, Boats, Vessels, or Fastcrafts to the various destinations. 



MY BACOLOD-DAVAO-CEBU TRIP

My experience of passing Toledo City Port bound for Negros happened in many instances while I travel in the Visayas-Mindanao areas.  In this story, I will relay my experience about Toledo Port, after my adventure at Samal Island and a city tour of Davo City.

After Davao City, I  flew to Cebu.  The Queen City as it is my jump-off point to other destinations I already mentioned.


A local band was practicing at the time of our arrival from Cebu City's South Bus Terminal.

From Cebu, I took the Cebu Pacific flight to Siargao Island.  It took me about an hour to land on Siargao Airport which would you believe?  was constructed in the '60s during the time of President Diosdado Macapagal. 

This is our air-conditioned Ceres Bus. We had a stop to give time to the passengers to have dinner while waiting for the schedule of loading the bus to the RoRo vessel for San Carlos City.  Your eyes are very sharp if you have seen that McDonald's signage. 

My next travel destination after Siargao was Camotes Islands.  The island is two hours fast craft ride from the port of Cebu.  The beaches of Camotes is as beautiful as Boracay, specifically the one which is found at Santiago.


Where are the others, guys? 

After my adventure at Camotes Islands, I went back to Cebu City to rest.  My address, as usual, is Pensionne La Florentina which is located along 18 Acacia St., Lahug, Cebu City.  Simply put, it is near Ayala Mall and the Golden Prince Hotel.

My Unforgettable Experience About Acacia Street

I had an unforgettable experience for the first time that I rode the taxi from SM City to Florentina Pension.  I told the taxi driver to take me to Florentina Pension on Acacia Street.  The way I pronounced acacia was "akeysya".  So, the name did not ring a bell to the driver and he turned around Ayala Mall and the Golden Prince Hotel without my knowing that we are near Florentina Pension.

I asked him if he has a problem locating "akeysya" street.  He retorted in Cebuano which I will translate to English, "is that really the address (location) of your hotel, sir?"  And I said, yes, "akeysya".  At the mere mention of the word several times, I realized it was not the way people pronounced this tree, Acacia (akeysya), but "akasya".  So, I repeat, "yes, I am going to Akasya street, Akasya Street. 

The driver said, "ah, akasya diay sir...haha..."  And he went on driving until we reached "akeysya", I mean "akasya", and La Pensionne Florentina..haha...

Killing time at the Port of Toledo, Toledo City, Province of Cebu.


So, I passed the night away in the hotel, Pensionne Florentina.  The next day, I rode the Ceres Tours Bus (aircon, because the Ceres Bus is non-aircon, the Ceres TOURS Bus is.) to the north of Cebu island-province.  This time, my destination was Maya Port.  There, I took a boat to Malapascua Island.

After a brief exploration of Malapascua Island, we went back to Cebu City.  We were waiting for the Ceres Tours Bus, when a taxi driver, who just brought his passengers to the port, approached me and my brother and asked us if we were going back to Cebu for only P300.00.  I heard it clearly, so I told him, "P300.00? Ok, let's go."  I was thinking that we made a bargain because the Ceres Tours Bus is P160.00, I guess, so it will be P320.00 for the two of us.


We had a nice conversation with the driver for several hours, about the towns that we passed by and how progressive they were.  


When we were approaching Lahug area, I handed him the P500.00, saying keep the change. He was surprised and the conversation began.  So, I told him about what he said at Maya Port and how clear it was to me or to us because he saw the two of us standing and waiting for the Ceres Tours Bus.  He should have clearly stated that P300 per person knowing that the bus is cheaper and it is air-conditioned too much cooler in fact than his taxi.  Honestly, I was really uncomfortable.  I can feel the heat, having been just a week after I arrived from the States, the heat really burned me, so to speak. I mean his taxi's aircon was not working well, so "mainit talaga". Although, hindi naman tayo sanay sa malamig, di ba? 


The driver, cannot say anything because, probably, he realized that his statement was misleading. Since he heard me as I handed him the five hundred that he can keep the change, he told me that the P500.00 is just ok.  Just ok, without saying a word that could piss me off.  He was courteous.  So, I told him as we went down the taxi - "here's an additional amount, and thank you for the safe ride." I am not a bad passenger after all, haha.

So, Cebu City had been my jump-off point to any destination in the Visayas and Mindanao regions.  The next time I will be in Cebu City, it will be a Cebu-Bicol Region tour and Cebu-Zamboanga-Tawi Tawi-Jolo Sulu - Basilan and the rest of Mindanao tour.

TRANSPORTATION SERVICES ON THE PORTS

In both Toledo Port, Cebu, and San Carlos City Port, Negros Occidental, there are transportation services available to take the passengers to their destinations.  Tricycles, Single Motorcycles or "Habal-Habal", Vans are waiting at the port to serve the needs of the passengers.  The Bus terminal is usually, around the vicinity if not a bit farther, so all you need to do is get a Tricycle and tell the driver to take you to the Bus Terminal for your next destination.

PHOTO COLLECTION FROM MY BACOLOD-DAVAO-DAVAO DEL NORTE AND CEBU ADVENTURES.




Caliclic Beach on Samal Island.  Below is the barge that took us to Samal Island. 



These are some of the dancers at Kadayawan Festival at Davao City.  The photo below shows the City Hall of Davao City. Please don't worry about my fist. "Nakiki-uso lang." 


  The photo below shows the Agora Market at Poro Town, Camotes Islands. 



An icon on Siargao Island is their Pavillion (pictured above) for the spectators of Surfing Event at Cloud 9.  Siargao is home to the National, Asian and International Surfing Competitions held mostly in the last week of September and the first week of October when the swell is huge and high. 

Our boat as we approach the world-famous Malapascua Island in the northern part of the province of Cebu.


Disclaimer:

The travel information cited in this Blog may change after this Blog has been published. Changes in the Schedule of Boats for example, may change without prior notice. So, I suggest you check the schedules, fees, and other facts through the shipping company, the tourism office of the town or city, and/or any other sources of information. Thank you. 


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *



This is not the end yet.  If you find this post informative, please LIKE it, and SHARE it with your friends.  Thanks.

Copyright photos by Henry Libo-on of Touristang Pobre except those duly recognized as coming from other sources. 

Updated on June 14, 2020.
Reviewed on Novermer 4, 2021. 
TOLEDO CITY: YOUR GATEWAY TO CEBU & NEGROS ISLAND Reviewed by Touristang Pobre on 4:01:00 PM Rating: 5

No comments:

Share your awesome thoughts on this post.

All Rights Reserved by Touristang Pobre © 2014 - 2016

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Theme images by konradlew. Powered by Blogger.