Top Ad unit 728 × 90

Travel Destinations

Destination

FROM THE PORT OF NEW YORK TO ROYAL NAVAL DOCKYARD BERMUDA

TRAVEL GUIDE TO HAMILTON, BERMUDA ISLAND.

By Henry Libo-on
Copyright photos by Henry Libo-on, Touristang Pobre. 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


The adventure began in New York City's Norwegian Cruise Line dockyard in New York City.
After processing our passport, we boarded the ship and were guided to our stateroom. 

Photo above shows the Norwegian Cruise Ship docks on Manhattan Cruise Terminal on 711 12th Avenue W 55th, New York. 
Where I took this photo is the Weehawken Park which is on the New Jersey side.
In this picture, New York and New Jersey is separated by the Hudson River. 


* * * * * * * * * * 
We left on a Sunday afternoon and the ship docked at the Royal Naval Dockyard in Bermuda Island after two days at sea.

After several hours, the passengers were allowed to disembark. They can spend time on the island, or they can go back to the ship every night. 

The ship left Bermuda for New York at 3:00 p.m. after a few days on the island.


My adventure around the island.

From the Royal Naval Dockyard where our ship the Norwegian Cruise Line - Breakaway docked, I traveled to Hamilton the capital of Bermuda for a walking tour.  As a first timer on the island, I found it informative to explore the place by walking and visit different sites and places that reflects Bermuda's great past and modern way of life.  So, one day, I took the boat from the Dockyard to Hamilton.  I bought a few tokens worth $4.00 each.  These I used to pay the ferry and the bus.




From the boat I saw several buildings painted in white.  A few buildings were painted light pink as if to connect this with the pink sand on the beach of Horseshoe Bay Beach which made Bermuda popular world-wide.   The architecture of these buildings suggested a rich history that was anchored on British influence.  On the way to Hamilton, I saw one or two islets on the bay.  There were boats and jet skis gliding the waters of the bay.  They were a picture of fun.  It made my day just light to think of how enjoyable this adventure on Bermuda could be if you enjoy the best things that Bermuda can offer.





Upon arrival at Hamilton, I wasted no time and went straight to the street fronting the ferry terminal to see where I could start my walking tour of the city.  An old tree greeted all passengers as they disembarked from the boat.  That tree must have been there on its spot for many decades already as it looked old but well cared of.




After glancing at which part of the street I shall proceed, I decided to follow the right side of the street where I noticed, some of the passengers of the boat walked through. As I passed by each building and store, I noticed that there were stores carrying the brand names of popular watches, fashion and fashion accessories, wines and others.  I thought that Bermuda, no matter how far it is from the neighboring Caribbean, the United States and Canada, it remained in touch with the latest in almost everything.  You may ask, "is there a wifi in the Dockyard or elsewhere?"  My answer is - yes.


As I continued my walking tour of Hamilton, my eyes and feet took me to several blocks away from the road at the ferry terminal.  At one point, I met a lady walking on my direction and asked her where  I can find the City Hall of Hamilton or other government buildings and offices.  She told me that I was walking right on the road where most of these government buildings are located.  Church Street, indeed, was where the biggest cathedral in Bermuda can be found, the parliament street, the post office, the office of the commission of human rights, commercial buildings and so on.

Hamilton's City Hall



Parliament Street

Hamilton is where big hotels can also be found, restaurants and bars as well as big offices of banks and other business entities.  After walking for a few hours, I got tired and became hungry.  I wish I could savor the local cuisine of Bermuda but I was on a budget and I couldn't afford an expensive snack or full meal because Bermuda is one of the most expensive places on earth.  I really do not know what that means because my information was taken from the internet.  But I learned from one of the restaurants and bars located at the Dockyard, the other day and I thought, indeed it was true.
So, I held my hunger and instead took a chocolate from my bag and drank mineral water from my small water jug.  My hunger can be satisfied the moment I arrive at the cruise ship where food and drinks were literally abundant and complimentary for cruisers like me.



I continued my walk until I reached the Bus Terminal that service the routes - Hamilton to Dockyard and Hamilton to St. George's Town destinations.  I boarded the Dockyard bound bus.  Along the way there were beautiful houses, beach resorts, boat jetty as well as stores and historical sites like old church, old buildings and many others.  Bermuda's community were clean and the landscaping is one of the best that I have seen in a few states and cities  that I visited elsewhere.

In this adventure, I survived my bus ride around Bermuda.



I hope this experience will enable you to plan your activities if you are planning to visit Bermuda. Let me summarize.  If you are in a cruise to Bermuda, try to schedule a visit to the farthest areas of the island that you wish to visit.

On your first day, you can begin with St. George's Town in the morning.  In the afternoon, you can take the bus and go down at the beach resort you can pass along the way.  There are many beaches located on the roadside where the bus passes by.  For example, the Horseshoe Bay Beach and other beaches are near the roadside with just a few minute walk to reach the beach area.





In your second day, you can take the boat and spend the morning at Hamilton City, the capital of Bermuda.  You can spend the whole morning there.  In the afternoon, you again, take the bus and go down at the beaches that you have not visited the other day.  Before sunset, you can explore other places of historical value like the Victually Yard, The Keep, the Eastern Storehouse and other historical places located at the Dockyard.  You can end your day by visiting the Snorkel Beach Park located near the Keep or visit the Bermuda National Museum.  You can enjoy the night swimming at the Snorkel Beach Park or you can schedule it in one of your free times during the day. You can also visit the Dolphin Park, or the local pubs and restaurants in the Dockyard.










On your third day at the Dockyard, you can decide to visit the shops at the Dockyard like the Bermuda Cake Factory.  Bermuda Rum Cake is a must bring item for your family and friends.  You can try a beer or two at the Frog & Onions Pub and Brewing Company or savor the local Bermudan cuisine at Bone Fish Bar & Grill or dine, drink and swim at the Calico Jack Bar  which is just a minute away from the Heritage Wharf.



The reason why you must reserve the third and final day of your cruise to tour the Dockyard is - it is near the ship which leaves Bermuda between 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. for New York if your ship is Norwegian Cruise Line - Breakaway.

There are so many things to do while on Bermuda.  The list is as limitless as your imagination.  The most important thing is - you enjoy every minute of your time while on the island.  Enjoy your Bermuda Adventure.   Ciao'....


* * * * * * * * * * 

Before you move on to the next blog, please LIKE and SHARE this with your friends. Liking and sharing is important to me, hehe....so that it can create magic, haha...

All Photos by Henry C. Libo-on, the Touristang Pobre.
I hold the Copyright to all my photos.  Please let me know if you want to use them but it will be alright if you will just share this blog with your friends...thanks.

***** Thanks, Spasiba, Merci, Grazie, Arigato, Selamat, Gracias, Xie Xie, Shukran, Madamo nga salamat....
FROM THE PORT OF NEW YORK TO ROYAL NAVAL DOCKYARD BERMUDA Reviewed by Touristang Pobre on 7:45:00 PM Rating: 5

No comments:

Share your awesome thoughts on this post.

All Rights Reserved by Touristang Pobre © 2014 - 2016

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Theme images by konradlew. Powered by Blogger.