Top Ad unit 728 × 90

Travel Destinations

Destination

The Tallest Mountain In The World?




After touring the whole island of Guam, I learned that there is still one place I failed to see since I dropped the plan of joining the Boonie Stomps or hiking in the mountains and jungles of Guam,  America's territory in the Pacific Ocean.  So, one morning, I asked my son-in-law Naoki if he can drive me to the south where I can be closer to Guam's highest mountain or Lookout so I can have a better view of the mountains and the sea.

We followed the national highway going to the southern part of Guam.  Along the highway I saw the beautiful sceneries, the green surroundings, well manicured lawns, beautiful houses and buildings and the long fence of the U.S. Base located in the southern tip of Guam.  Finally we reached a small parking area near the beach.  There was a pathway that leads to the steps going to the viewing deck.  There, I had the chance to see the beautiful sea on one side and on the east side the tallest mountain on Guam, Mount Lamlam.
Mount Lamlam is separated from the other hill facing the sea by the highway.  On this hill where we stood, I had a nice view of the mountain.  Looking at it intently, I could not believe that it is the highest peak on Guam since it does not look like one.  But the booklet distributed by Guam Visitors Bureau described it rather differently.  This is the biggest surprise that I read.  The U. S. Geological Survey  branded Mount Lamlam as, technically, the tallest mountain in the world.  I could not believe it but how was it possible?  Here is the explanation. According to Wikipedia, the deepest part of the world's oceans is in the Pacific and that is the Mariana Trench. It is where the deepest part of the world is found, the Challenger Deep, located 210 miles South-West of Guam.  While Mount Everest is 8,848 meters high, the Challenger Deep in the Mariana Trench is 11,033 meters deep.  From the deepest point to the highest point at Mount Lamlam, the U.S. Geological Survey is indeed correct.  Mount Lamlam on the island of Guam is, technically, the highest mountain in the world. The most beautiful ending here is:  I was able to conquer Mount Lamlam.  Sounds incredible but I also found it amusing.  I am posting a photo of Mount Lamlam for you to see.  (Text and Photo by Touristang Pobre.)
The Tallest Mountain In The World? Reviewed by Touristang Pobre on 5:25:00 PM Rating: 5

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing place. Guam is not far away. Visit Guam to see Mount Lamlam - The tallest Mountain in the world. Go... see it!

    ReplyDelete

Share your awesome thoughts on this post.

All Rights Reserved by Touristang Pobre © 2014 - 2016

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Theme images by konradlew. Powered by Blogger.