Top Ad unit 728 × 90

Travel Destinations

Destination

BILIRAN: A SNIPPET ON THIS ISLAND PARADISE

Reminder:

Before finalizing your travel plans, please check with the proper authorities about the travel guidelines in your country of origin to your country of destination. Also please check the Visa Requirements. Changes can happen without prior notice. Prepare all your travel documents and travel requirements and place them in one folder for easy access. Before buying your ticket and making a hotel reservation, please see to it that everything is done correctly. As a traveler, it is your full responsibility to follow all the guidelines set by the authorities before embarking on your trip. Observe proper health protocols wherever you are traveling. Have a happy trip. 

* * * * * * * * 



BILIRAN: A SNIPPET ON THIS ISLAND PARADISE


Introduction

It was the last week of June 2019 when I took the Philippine Airlines flight from New York to Manila.  It was a very brief "Balikbayan", so to speak, that lasted only three (3) weeks.  It was good timing though because my grandchildren just started their summer vacation.  Classes in the U.S. will resume in September.  

A Revisit to the Island  of Boracay

My family decided that upon our arrival in the Philippines our first activity would be a visit to the newly rehabilitated Boracay Island. This is one of the "freebies" of our short vacation to the Philippines.

I have been to Boracay in the late '80s or a total of around 10 trips since my last in 2017.  Boracay was really awesome after its rehabilitation. 

Meanwhile, In Cebu City.

I took the Fast Craft to Ormoc by 10:00 a.m. missing 5:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. scheduled trips because I was still thinking of flying to Zamboanga and then go to Jolo, Basilan, and Santa Cruz Islands.

Anyway, after two hours, the Fastcraft docked at the Port of Ormoc.  I had a virtual tour of Ormoc Port and Ormoc City through Google Earth and the real images of the City were no longer new to me, so to speak. 

Biliran Island is surrounded by several islands and islets.  Some are popular tourist destinations because of their white sand beaches and natural beauty which are unique from other islands. Examples are Sambawan Island, Maripipi Island, and the nearby island of Kalanggaman.  This map of Biliran was sourced from https://images.search.yahoo.com.  

* * * * * * * * 

While waiting for the Boarding Time, I decided to have a Massage in the Cebu Port Terminal.

A few minutes later, the passengers boarded the 2Go Supercat for Ormoc.  I was seated in the Business Class. 

Arrival at the Port of Ormoc City

Ormoc City Port. 
Photos by Henry L. of Touristang Pobre. 



Ormoc City V-Hire Terminal for Biliran Island and other Destinations

I learned in advance that I have to ride the Motorcycle or Tricycle to the V-Hire Terminal in Ormoc City which is around 10 minutes ride from the Port. 


From this Terminal, I rode the Van for Naval Town, the capital of Biliran Island.  Travel time is about two hours. I remember the Tricycle Driver telling me that this terminal is located near, beside, or at the back of Robinson's Place Ormoc. Anyway, as soon as I can confirm it, I will just make the necessary correction.  

How Did I Know About Biliran Island? 

I came to know about the existence of Biliran Island many years ago when a fellow Bacolodnon became its Island Governor, Dr. Wayne Jaro.  In the political circle in Negros Occidental at that time, many politicians were talking about Dr. Jaro's Governorship with "wonder".  I knew about this because I was the Personal Assistant to the Negros Occidental Governor Alfredo Montelibano, Jr. at that time too.  Dr. J has a very lucrative practice in Negros Occidental. Since then I was also wondering how Biliran Island attracted a famous doctor in our hometown that he decided to live there and in fact served as its Governor.  Dr. Jaro was the first Governor of the Province of Biliran Island. He was appointed by then-President Fidel Ramos whose wife Meng is a close relative of the Jaros. Since that day I decided to visit Biliran one day. 

Biliran Island became an independent province from Leyte on May 11, 1992, and its first Governor, as I mentioned earlier, was Dr. Wayne Jaro.  The capital of Biliran is the town of Naval.  Biliran has a land area of 536 square kilometers and is composed of two main islands, Biliran and Maripipi. Other smaller islands include Higatangan and Dalupan. 
(Source: www.biliranisland.com)

Biliran Bridge (Km. 1005.50 - 150 T), was constructed in 1975 during the Marcos Presidency. 
Here's what biliranisland.com says about the Bridge:
 
"Completed around 1975, this bridge is about 150 meters long and its central span, held in place by an arched steel structure, hovers above a short and narrow channel of water measuring about 40 meters wide at low tide. When facing north from my favorite spot, one can view Carigara Bay to the right and the Biliran Strait to the left. From this vantage point, the wind almost invariably blows from the east, from the direction of the Carigara Bay. During stormy weather in the olden days, outrigger boats sailing along the strait would have to wait for the wind and the sea to calm down before attempting to pass through the narrow channel to the bay, where the waves were bigger and more dangerous to seacraft."

BILIRAN, HERE I COME!

My eyes feasted on the beautiful sceneries that greeted me after I crossed this Bridge.  I know that the moment I pass the bridge I am already experiencing Biliran. 

The first town that I saw was Biliran Town on the island of Biliran and the last town I passed by when I exited the Province of Leyte was Leyte Town.  In short, it is like a word gymnastics - Leyte, Leyte, Biliran, Biliran. 

(The photos below were sourced from  www. tourism.biliranisland.com and www.biliranisland.com.) 

Source: biliranisland.com



The island lies off the northern coast of Leyte island across Biliran Strait. To the southeast is Carigara Bay, to the northeast is the Samar Sea, and across this sea is Samar. To the west is the Visayan Sea and Masbate lies 30 kilometers (19 mi) to the northwest. 
(Source: https://www.bing.com)


Source: tourism.biliranisland.com

Arrival in the Municipality of Naval.

I asked the Driver of the Van to take me to the Municipal Hall of Naval because I want to pay a courtesy call to the Municipal Tourism Officer.  The Driver told me that the municipal hall was demolished and that the MTO was temporarily holding office in the Gym.  So, I went to the Gym.  I asked the employees there and they asked me to go to the other side of the building because that was where the Tourism Officer holds office. 

I went to the other side of the Gym and passed by Penshoppe.  In short, I ended up in the Philippine Information Agency or PIA since I cannot locate the MTO.  I asked the employees thereat about the purpose of my visit to Biliran.  That it was just a brief visit, sort of survey of tourist spots and facilities, a Snippet On The Island Paradise, so to speak.  Then, the long conversations started.


I was surprised to see Penshoppe in the capital town of Biliran Island - Naval. 


A Running Tour of Naval and Biliran Towns

My newfound friends from PIA Biliran were awesome because they went with me on a short tour of the town of Naval and Biliran.  PIA Biliran Staff  Mr. Rodrigo "Rudy" Victoria, and Ms. Lanie Tupaz who also hosts the local radio program called Radyo Natin - Naval, showed me around town, so to speak.  Ms. Lanie suggested the name of a hotel where I can stay for the night. So, I went there, it was just across the PIA Office. After checking in, I went back to PIA to meet Sir Rudy and Ms. Lanie so I can have a look at the towns of Naval and Biliran.  We rode in the car of Ms. Lanie.  It was driven by her husband Jun. I was lucky to be in the company of friendly and hospitable Biliranons.  "Hisa Kamo?"  Joke lang ah, hehe.

* * * * * * * * 
Again, it was my pleasure to meet the provincial staff of the Philippine Information Agency based in Naval Town, Biliran Province Mr. Rodrigo Victoria and Ms. Lanie Tupaz.  They also host the radio program called Radyo Natin-Naval. 

 After our brief meeting at the PIA Office, we did a "running" tour of the Naval and Biliran Towns and decided to have dinner in this restaurant by the sea - the Sea Park Biliran Bar and Restaurant. Joining us at dinner was Mr. Jun Tupaz, Lanie's husband who was on vacation from his overseas job. 

We ordered our dinner consisting of Shrimp Tempura, Blue Marlin Steak, and Sinigang na Tuna with Steamed Rice.  For drinks, we had soda and San Mig Light. I forgot what Dessert was served. "Sir Rudy and Ma'am Lanie, nag Dessert ba tayo?" Nakalimot si Grandpa, haha...

I really enjoyed our Dinner no matter how simple it was. The place was really cool. Sana maulit muli, hehe.  

Sea Park Biliran Bar and Restaurant is located along the Baywalk of Biliran Town.  Can you see the Biliran Bridge from a distance? That bridge is very significant because it connects the Province of Leyte and Biliran Province.
(Source: https://tourism.biliranisland.com)


A taste of Batanes? From this restaurant, I can see the hills that overlook the sea.  The locals call that spot the Batanes of Biliran.  


The Baywalk at Biliran.  Lami suroy-suroy di upod imo uyab, hehe.  Seriously, I love the peace and tranquility of this place. Lalong lalo na kapag may tubig ang dagat.  Will I retire on this island? Well, "only the future will tell", sabi ng Scrap Book, lol.


HOW TO GET TO BILIRAN ISLAND? 

From any point in the Philippines, your Point of Entry to the island of Biliran is through the seaport, airport, and the Maharlika Highway in the Province of Leyte. 

Leyte is connected with Luzon through Matnog Port in Sorsogon, Allen Port in Northern Samar, and various ports located in Leyte that connect the latter to Visayas and Mindanao. 

Tacloban Airport has been remodeled after it has been badly damaged by Typhoon Yolanda. There are flights from Manila, Cebu, and Clark, among others going to Tacloban. 

By Port, there are ships, RoRo Vessels, Fastcrafts, and Outrigger Boats that docked at the smaller and bigger Ports in Leyte, specifically, Ormoc City Port.  From Cebu, I took the Supercat to Ormoc City.  

From the Airport and the Port, there are Vans For Hire.  Just ask the Tourist Information Counter of the Ports where to get these Vans. 

WHERE TO STAY AT BILIRAN ISLAND? 

There are several hotels and resorts which are of Tourist Class that are spread all over the Island Province of Biliran.  Examples of these are:

1.    Agta Beach Resort, Barangay Almeria 

2.    Fragoch Tourist Inn, Caneja Extension, Naval Town, the capital of Biliran Island. 

3.    Marvin's Seaside Inn, 567 Barangay Road, Naval Town.

4.    MayLaka Guesthouse, Biliran Circumferential Road, Barangay Catmon, Naval Town. 

5.    Napo Beach Resort, Sitio Napo, Barangay Viga, Maripipi Island.

6.    GV Hotel, Padre Inocentes Street, Naval, Biliran. 

7.    Biliran Island Inn, Corner Ballesteros, and P. Inocentes Streets, DBM Bldg., Naval.

8.    Marienos Mountain Resort, Sitio Anislag, Capinahan, Naval.

9.    Biliran Island Sunrise Bed and Breakfast, Naval. 

10.  De Meis Residence Inn, Naval.

11.  Coco Grove/Talahid Beach Resort, Almeria. 

12.  Biliran Paradise Sea Resort

13.  Higatangan Island Beach Resort

*For more information about these hotels, please visit their websites or if you are already on Biliran Island, you may coordinate with the Municipal Tourism Officer of the Town of Naval or the Provincial Tourism Officer of Biliran.
       
WHAT TO DO AT BILIRAN ISLAND? 

Had I stayed longer on the island, I would do the following:

1.  Chase Waterfalls.  There are several waterfalls around the island which are accessible and very good subject for Photography.  

2.  Do the Island Hopping. Several islands and islets that have world-class beaches and facilities. For example, Sambawan Island.  It has the best beach on Biliran Island, as far as I am concerned.  That is why I want to stay longer on Sambawan if I had the chance someday. Maripipi Island is widely known among travelers to Biliran. 

3. Visit historical sites and places.  Say a little prayer in St. James The Apostle Catholic Church.  

Photo Credit: www.biliran.gov.ph.

4. Explore the sources of the Livelihood of the Biliranons.  I will visit the farms, forest areas, the countrysides as well as farms that produce strawberries, vegetables, and other agricultural products very common on Biliran Island.  Spend time at the Iyusan Rice Terraces.

5.  Enjoy swimming, discover different facilities of popular resorts like Marvin's Seaside Inn, MayLaka Guesthouse, Sambawan Island Resort, among others. I wish to swim in the Tingkasan Cave during a Spelunking Activity. 

6.  Trekking or Mountain Climbing to Mt. Giron or Mt. Suiro, the highest mountain in Biliran Island. There are several mountains in Biliran that might be worth exploring.  


Photo from www.biliranisland.com  (Thanks). 

7.  Visit the different schools, colleges, and a university on the island. 

8.  Food Trips to discover the island's best cuisine. 

9.  Just walk the beaches. 

10. Watch the Sunrise and the Sunset.  


11. Finally but not least, dance during the "Tsinelas Party". Although this Party will happen closest to our Masskara Festival in Bacolod City which is the second week of October, I wish my schedule will allow me to be in Biliran for the Tsinelas Party...hoping.  

Photo from www.pinterest.com

Photo from Tsinelas Party by www.biliranisland.com 

Whom To Coordinate For Assistance? 

You can coordinate your tour of Biliran Island with the Provincial Tourism Officer or the Municipal Tourism Officer of Naval Town, the Capital of Biliran Island Province. 

You can also visit the PIA Office of Naval if you wish to inquire about the current events about the Province. 
* * * * * * * * * 

For a traveler's video, please refer to this link. 

https://www.facebook.com/biliranisland/videos/10160645961170131/
Source: https: tourism.biliranisland.com

* * * * * * * * * *

Finally, do you enjoy reading this article? 

If you do, please LIKE my Facebook Page and SHARE this story with your friends.  
Thank you. 

* * * * * *

Post Mortem*

My trip to Biliran Island was done so quickly.  It was a kiss-and-run event.  Nevertheless, I enjoyed every minute of it.  If I decided to stay for another two days, probably I was able to do my "wish list" to the fullest. No regrets and no surrender because I decided I must go back in the next two years, maybe. 

After this trip to Biliran Island, I went back to Cebu City and had lunch with my brother Rudy in his house in Mandaue City.  It was quality time with my elder bro, his wife, and his Son.  After our bonding, I took a Taxi to go to the Terminal of the Van For Hire. Once inside the Taxi, I told the driver to take me to the Terminal of the Vans going to Toledo.  The Driver asked me which Van Terminal? So, my quick reply was: "Take me to the Terminal called "Burikat" (that is in Cebu City Proper). Immediately he knew where it was...haha...how cruel that this word is associated with the place of the Terminal.  I cannot do anything but laugh with the Driver.    

I got a front seat in the Van going to Toledo City.  Upon arrival there, I bought a Business Class ticket at Super Cat Ticket Counter. I left Toledo City at around 3:30 in the afternoon and arrived in San Carlos City, Negros Occidental one hour after.  From the port, I rode the Tricycle to the Ceres Terminal for Bacolod City.  I arrived at Bacolod Ceres Terminal after two hours.  

To think back, I left Naval Town, Biliran Island at 4:40 a.m. for Ormoc City.  At 6:00 a.m. I was relaxing in the Business Class Section of Super Cat on our way to Cebu City and before the day ends, I was in Bacolod City at around 7:00 p.m.

I was tired but full of joy and satisfaction for achieving my long overdue trip to Bantayan and Biliran Islands and for meeting two new friends in Biliran - Rudy and Lanie (and Jun too, hehe). 

I just want to mention here that in 2017 I hopped to several islands around Cebu like Malapascua, Camotes, and Siargao Island.  Earlier this, I was in Samal Island, Davao City, and Nogas Island in Antique.  Tiresome? When you love what you are doing you enjoy every minute of it. 

Have a nice day, guys. 

* * * * * * * * 

Word Meanings:

*Post Mortem - refers to a discussion of an event after it has occurred. 

*Snippet - refers to a small piece of news, information, or conversation about something. 

* * * * * * * *

Touristang Pobre is written by Moi.
All pictures used in this Blog are owned by Touristang Pobre, except those coming from secondary sources which are fully acknowledged too. 

* * * * * * * * 


Touristang Pobre expresses his gratitude to the awesome staff of PIA Biliran for their assistance. 

August 01, 2019. 
Reviewed on April 12, 2021. 


* * * * * * * * 




























































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































BILIRAN: A SNIPPET ON THIS ISLAND PARADISE Reviewed by Touristang Pobre on 3:49:00 AM Rating: 5

No comments:

Share your awesome thoughts on this post.

All Rights Reserved by Touristang Pobre © 2014 - 2016

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Theme images by konradlew. Powered by Blogger.