Top Ad unit 728 × 90

Travel Destinations

Destination

PALAU CALATRAVA

 ROAD TRIP TO CALATRAVA 

* * * * * * * * * * * * 

Introduction

 Every time I think about the town of Calatrava, I always remember those days I spent with the other provincial government workers who dedicated their efforts to improve the lives of the youth of the town. Those were the days when the town looked sleepy, and that progress have forgotten her for a long time. 

* * * * * * * * 

I have not visited Calatrava for over 30 years. But few days of my arrival from New York, I decided to make this road trip to the town to see and experience how Calatrava and her people took the challenge and level up the progress and development of the town. I was really amazed at the dynamism of the local leaders who worked hard and brought progress to the township. 

Before reaching the town, I had Coffee and Leche con Hielo at Ki Kulas Hilltop Cafe', I also took pictures of the Solid Waste Management project. I also noticed that there is a multi-level municipal building, and a new resort in town which is called Palau. 

* * * * * * * * * 

How did I reach Calatrava in just around two hours? 

From Bacolod City, we drive to Salvador Benedicto and searched for that diversion road to the town. It means that instead of going to San Carlos City, we drive through that road from DSB to Barangay Marcelo. 

The new road networks can really influence the growth and progress of the communities where there is a road network. Along the road I saw farm produce being displayed along the road for travelers to purchase. 

The bridges looked new and the people in the communities along the road looked busy doing their chores, working the farms, working on the roadside display of their farm produce for buyers to see, and many more.  In fact, I bought two (2) kilos ginger when I passed by the road where the farmers were cleaning the ginger. 

Along the road I saw pineapple farms, bananas, houses, rice fields, repair shops, barangay markets, sari-sari stores, schools, business establishments, coffee shops, and many more. It is a sight that is a far cry from the Calatrava that I knew of in the past. 

Calatrava has leveled up. 

* * * * * * * * 

The Municipal Hall 


Welcome Arch to the Township of Calatrava.


Entrance to Palau Beach Resort.

Palau Beach Resort

The main reason that I visited Calatrava is to eat lunch at Palau Beach Resort. Earlier, in the day, I had breakfast at Cafe K.M. 41 at Salvador Benedicto. But I planned to have lunch in Palau Beach Resort 

After paying an entrance fee and asked permission from the gatekeeper if I can take pictures, selfies, and all, I immediately went to work - photography. 

When I was done, I went to the dining hall and negotiate with the kitchen personnel if I can order food for lunch after learning that the food on the table was for the participants of the seminar which is ongoing that day. 

The kitchen staff told me that it might take an hour to defrost the chicken since I ordered fried chicken and rice. So, I decided to look for another place to eat lunch. 

Kap's Tambayan

We were driving towards the Market when, along the national highway just a few meters from the "municipio", we spotted a carinderia with the signage - Kap's Tambayan.  It was almost one in the afternoon and the carinderia looked clean, so, we decided to drop by and eat our lunch. My travel companion was the pilot, Pareng Leo. 

We ordered Adobo, Rice, and Soda. That's it. That is a complete meal for me. When traveling I do not eat much. But I choose the food that is safe for my taste. We were in the middle of our dining experience at Kap's Tambayan, when someone told me that the real Kap was coming in the carinderia. He was an amiable looking guy, so I did not hesitate to have a brief conversation with him. He is the Barangay Captain of that barangay where Kap's Tambayan is located. I met his wife too. She manages the carinderia. 

* * * * * * * 

When we finished our lunch, we decided to rest for a while before we move on to the next itinerary which is the township of Toboso. 

Then, another Barangay Captain joined me in a conversation about the new development in Calatrava. Then a former SB Member who, I think, came from Barangay Marcelo joined us. We talked about the old Calatrava, during the time of the previous mayors, and the Calatrava of today. 

I have seen a progressive Calatrava during this visit. 


* * * * * * * *  


Josefina Garden at Palau Beach Resort.

Social Hall and Dining Hall


Beachfront 

Huts and Shed Houses for use of visitors ang guests.


The Dining Hall 



This lane leads to the Swimming Pool. 

The entrance to the swimming pool. 

Pictures I took while road tripping to the township of Calatrava. 

Calatrava Eco Park. 

* * * * * * * * * 


Photos I captured along the road to Calatrava.

It looks like a Market but today is not their market day. 

Pit Stop Cafe is located on the way to Calatrava. 


An old bridge and Ginger farmer cleaning his produce to be sold at the town either of Calatrava or Salvador Benedicto.


Rotunda. One road will lead to Calatrava, and the other road will lead to San Carlos City.


Rice field along the road to Calatrava. 

How to get there?

From Bacolod City Calatrava via Don Salvador Benedicto will take you around one hour and a half by private car. If you will drive from Bacolod City via the western coastal road of Negros Occidental, it will take you around three (3) hours. From San Carlos City, it will take you 30 minutes (more or less). 

What to do in Calatrava?

Some of the interesting places to see or visit in Calatrava include the following:

  • Wild Monkey Sanctuary & Eco Park at Barangay Paghumayan.
  • Century old Catholic church in the town proper.
  • Caves like Mahilum Cave, and Daan Lungsod Cave. 
  • Lat-ason Falls and Rice Terraces at Barangay Marcelo. 
  • Several beach resorts like Cassandra, El-Joy, Loly, Palau, Ralph's Bay Townhouse and Resort, and many more. 
  • Campabalo Reef and Tiningisan Beach.
  • and many more.
* * * * * * * * * 

Where to stay?

Most of the beach resorts I previously mentioned have cottages or hotel rooms for overnight stay. 

Another is Villa Camarra and Calatrava Municipal Guest House.

Where to eat?

Most beach resorts accept orders for lunch, snacks, and others. 

Hotels and inns have their restaurants too. 

Of course, we have eateries and carinderias located in the town market or the one where we had lunch, the Kap's Tambayan. 
 

My Comments: 

  • The current development of the town has surprised me. That's true. They have eco-park, Solid Waste Management center, more businesses operating in the town, etcetera and so on and so forth. 
  • The town can also campaign for "Visit Calatrava". 
  • Their annual festival, Lilas Pandan, can attract more visitors if there is good marketing.
  • Campaign among LGUs and private sectors to hold their seminars, trainings, team building exercises, educational field trips, and other activities, in the town of Calatrava. 
  • Training of hotel and resort staff and personnel in Customer Service.
  • A well-informed people from the service providers, like tricycle and habal-habal drivers, about the history of the town, the tourist spots, and other major programs and projects of the town, will enable them to share this information to the visitors of the town. They can be a good tourist guide.
  • Improve the signages along the road on where to find tourist spots, beach resorts, and other tourism related facilities.


Calatrava Solid Waste Management Eco Park.




* * * * * * * * 

Finally, there is more to Calatrava than just these beautiful tourist spots. And that is the people, the local residents who showed spontaneous hospitality and willingness to assist any visitor in the town. I experienced that several times during my visit to Calatrava. 

Thirty-six years after my last visit in the town, the people are still the same, friendly, accommodating, helpful, and proud of what their town has achieved. 

* * * * * * * * *  

I traveled far, from New York to my hometown, and I included Calatrava in my itinerary. I want to see how the town developed after so many years that I have not visited her. 

Now, I think I am happy at what I saw. Specifically, the active eco-tourism activities on the coastal areas of the town. As the local entrepreneurs are thriving, I wish they will continue to infuse more creativity in their business so as to level up the progress that they have made.  

I would like to say thank you to the two Barangay Captains that I talked to at Tambayan Ni Kap, and to the honorable SB Member who shared their thoughts about their town.

* * * * * * * * 

Before you go to the next Blog, please LIKE our Facebook Page and SHARE this story with your friends. Thank you. 

* * * * * * * * * 

November 17, 2022. 
Reviewed on May 19, 2023.
All photos by Touristang Pobre. 

Touristang Pobre is a travel and adventure Blog Site created and started on April 9, 2013, at Philadelphia, U.S.A.







Copyright photos. 













lllll




PALAU CALATRAVA Reviewed by Touristang Pobre on 9:15:00 PM Rating: 5

1 comment:

Share your awesome thoughts on this post.

All Rights Reserved by Touristang Pobre © 2014 - 2016

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Theme images by konradlew. Powered by Blogger.