Top Ad unit 728 × 90

Travel Destinations

Destination

MANAPLA: CHASING THE CAT THAT NEVER WAS

Chasing The Cat That Never Was      
Photos & Text by Henry Libo-on
Touristang Pobre

* * * * * * * * * * * * 

 Introduction

Manapla is a 2nd class municipality in the Province Negros Occidental. It has a population of 55,083 (2020 Census). To be a 2nd class municipality means that Manapla has a total annual income of P160 Million or more but not less than P200 Million. This is embodied in R.A. 11964, October 2023.

The town of Manapla has been very popular just because of one product - Manapla Puto. 

Many moons ago specifically in the early '70s, I used to spend my weekends here in the town and every time that I go back to Bacolod City where we live, I always carry a "puyo" loaded with Manapla Puto. If I do not bring puto my siblings would tease me - "ay ti, nga-a nag puli ka pa?" (So, why did you go home? Without Manapla Puto, that is.).

* * * * * * * * 

My memory of old Manapla 

The town of Manapla was named after the wife of the first chieftain of the town. She was called Manang Pula.

While in Manapla, I stayed with my father near the "convento". So, because I have no playmates, I entertained myself by running around or doing the tumbling on the vacant green lawns in front the wooden made school - St. Roch Academy.  

Sometimes, I would explore the market where fishermen brought their newly caught fish to the fish stalls. It was such a noisy place, but I was happy witnessing all those "ginahud" of both fish sellers and buyers. There was always fresh fish in the market of Manapla. I was there the other day and things looked different. 

There were times when I would run around the old plaza. The other day I looked at it from outside the fence, it looked cramped. Then a flashback went through my head. I remember that night when the plaza was full of people to witness the Search for Mutya Sang KB - Kabataang Barangay. 

Then, I remember that I was seated in front of the stage. "Ay Judge gali si Manoy." I was one of the Judges that night. Actually, a municipal councilor invited me to sit as one of the judges. He was the president of the KB Federation of Manapla. So, automatic, he will become a member of the Sangguniang Bayan. 

Moi? I was the Provincial Youth Development Officer, Office of the Governor. 

* * * * * * * *  

Every Sunday I joined the brethren who filled the church to hear the mass. I mean, the old church. My father would put some coins in my pocket for the "tigpaw". Father Esplico officiated the mass. During the day, I sometimes "bumped" at him, so to speak, while making a round of the church premises, and he would greet me - "Oy, bata Andres." I would shyly greet him and ran away. My father built the extension of the convento. 

This is the new St. Roch Church 

When the job was finished, Father Esplico gifted my father with a very thick book titled: The Law of Christ. I read the book. Now, it is in the shelf of my little library at home. "Daan na pero completo gid ang mga pahina". It looks old but the pages are still intact. Every time I got hold of it and read a portion of it, images of Father Esplico ran through my head - he was wearing a "sotana", he has a friendly face, he looked tan all the time, he was a soft-spoken priest. 

* * * * * * * *

Perhaps, Father Esplico was one of the reasons why I loved becoming a priest. In my teenage years, I visited the Lizares Mansion in Iloilo and talked to one of the priests there who gave me some tips on how to join the Dominican Order. Unfortunately, my father did not approve of it, and he will not sign the parental consent, something. That was the end of my becoming a priest.  That was the end of my career, lol.

We left Manapla. Many years after, I went back a few times to have picnic on the beach, to visit friends who were living in the farms, to attend mass in the old church, to visit the elementary school where I attended meetings or seminars thereat, to bring tourists to the Gaston Estate, and to cover the Beach Volleyball Tournament at Ceferina Beach for a newspaper based in Cebu - What's On in the Visayas and Mindanao. 

Many years ago, my friend invited me to have lunch in his mother-in-law's place. She was not only the owner of a big hardware store but also the Barangay Captain of her Barangay. 

I also went back to Manapla after the attack of the town hall. The municipio was surrounded by barb wires, everything was under control so to speak. "Mangape kami tani sa Mayor's Office but we stayed in the plaza." My best friend's hubby, RG was considered a town hero. 

Manapla is always in my itinerary whenever I am in Bacolod for a vacation.  

* * * * * * * * *  

Last Sunday, I revisited the town after hearing about the new spots worth discovering. There is Gracia Resort that adds to the existing tourism facilities in Punta Salong as well as the Gustilo's Northland hotel and resort, among others. As of press time, there is a new beach that is being developed in Punta Salong it is called Mayumi.

* * * * * * * * 

My travel buddies also spent time at Hda. Santa Rosalia, since my travel companions were "first timers" to the place. 

* * * * * * * *

Inside the St. Roch Church.



* * * * * * * 
It's never complete to talk about Manapla without mentioning the production of the film Oro, Plata, Mata. 

The whole Gaston estate in Manapla was the set of the film "Oro, Plata, Mata". It was directed and co-written by Peque Gallaga. Jose Javier Reyes did the Screenplay. The film stars Joel Torre, Cherrie Gil, Liza Lorena, Mitch Valdez, Kuh Ledesma, Lorli Villanueva, Fides Cuyugan-Asensio, Sandy Andolong, Vangie Labalan (a drama talent from ABS-CBN Bacolod.), and my classmates in MassCom at LSC-B - Ronnie Lazaro and Charito Ferrer-Motus, among others. Other locations of the film include Negros Occidental High School, Mambucal Health Resort. Most film-set is the Gaston Mansion.

Source: letterboxd.com
Disclaimer: I do not own this photo. Photo belongs to the rightful owners. 
Copyright Infringement Not Intended.

* * * * * * * * 
 
 
I revisited the mansion one more time. This is the focal point of the story of Don Manuel Ojeda and his family in the film, Oro, Plata, Mata. 

Source: YouTube by ABS-CBN Entertainment. 
Disclaimer: I do not own this video. Ownership belongs to ABS-CBN Entertainment.
No Copyright Infringement Intended. Thank you. 

The film was produced by Experimental Cinema of the Philippines and Madeleine Gallaga. 
* * * * * * * * * 


I visited the ancestral house of Monsignor G. G. as well as the chapel of the cartwheels many times in the past, so to speak. As a licensed tour-guide with the newly created (1973) Department of Tourism, I used to bring tourists to the mansion and the chapel. 

On one occasion, the housekeeper asked me to wait for Monsignor G.G. because he was coming.  My bus load of tourists was scheduled to have their lunch at Vicmico Golf Club, but the tourists agreed to eat lunch in the house since Monsignor G.G. approved it and in fact, allowed us to use the silverwares and China. The tourists only used "cutchara - tinidor". "Scared sila maka bu-ong pinggan." haha...😂 It was a great day indeed. 

* * * * * * * * * * 

The Chapel of the Cartwheels 
Hda. Santa Rosalia, Manapla.


Now it is known as the Chapel of the Cartwheels. 
Before, it was known as the Hacienda Santa Rosalia Chapel. 
 
* * * * * * * * * 

From the Gaston Mansion, we drove through the short-cut road leading to Barangay Punta Mesa. The road is still surrounded by rice paddies and sugar cane fields. What a relief to see the concrete road connecting Barangay Tortosa, Barangay Punta Mesa to the town proper. **



**this one. 

The road is actually, a few meters away from the coast therefore, you can see the blue sea and the horizon as well as the islands of Guimaras and Panay. 

On the right side of the cemented road, there is a dirt road leading to Gracia Resort. I know the place and its facilities, but we rushed to Koffi Kat because it was almost lunchtime. 

                                                             * * * * * * * * * 

While approaching the entrance to Koffi Kat I had this inkling that it was closed because it was Mother's Day. So, I looked at my watch and it was 10:45 a.m. This gave me a little hope that we can probably eat lunch there if they will open at 11:00 a.m.

* * * * * * * * 

I was really hungry because we left the house in Bacolod without breakfast. That hunger led me to reminisce the days of my youth when we were in the farm and far away from the house and we were very hungry. What is a youth? When you were young you can stand the fangs of hunger because you are used to it, lol.

Oh, Juliet, where art thou, my Juliet? Where's the food? ... haha. Makanta na lang ko ah, para madula ang gutom. 

What Is a Youth?
Source: YouTube by Avalanche'

* * * * * * * * * 

Then, the lady approached us and explained why it is closed but she assured us that it will be opened by 1:00 o'clock in the afternoon. I thanked her for talking to us. So, I decided to drive to the town proper and to look for a decent place to eat. I know the weakness of Manapla when it comes to this. But I still looked up to Manapla. I Love Manapla, and so, we searched for what it has to make our day complete. Street food, carinderia, or what have you. Go street boys, go. 

Next time we will catch the cat, lol.

* * * * * * * *

Before we reached the poblacion or the center of town, we passed by the breathtaking view of Guimaras Strait and the nearby islands of Guimaras and Panay. 


* * * * * * * * * 
I visited Barangay Punta Mesa few years ago in search for new development or any new resort with hotel accommodations. What I saw was the construction of a training center that overlooks the coastal area. At the time of my visit last Sunday, I saw how beautiful the edifice was, but I decided not to investigate, lol.

So, we continued driving. I decided that we should visit Mayumi Beach Resort at Punta Salong. This is a new resort being developed by a close friend. Since, no one among the locals know where Mayumi is, we decided to just call it a day and take our lunch. I also skipped revisiting Balulan Beach and the neighboring beaches thereat. I was curious how beach tourism along that coast is doing. I wish beach tourism business is doing fine.

Lunchtime

Thank God, there is 7 Eleven. 

Now, feeling the fangs of hunger, we went inside 7 Eleven and bought 4 pieces chicken siopao and several drinks. My original plan was to have lunch at Koffi Kat to try their food service. "Pero, cerrado sila." 

I will try again next time, that is if I can't revisit Australia this June.

* * * * * * *

Back to our lunch. This time, our hands are full of food, lol. I spotted several tables outside 7 Eleven, but it seems that there were plenty of guests playing around that area. So, we decided to add rice and some viands to our lunch. So, we went inside that restaurant or coffee shop in front of 7 Eleven. 

"Dira kami nag tambay and ate lunch.... ok man ang place, bisan wala aircon, at least may airlaps - - - air lapus-lapus, haha."

We spent an hour in this carinderia cum coffee shop cum karaoke bar, haha. It's not eat-all-you-can, but it's..... "all you want service". Ok sila.

* * * * * * *

After our lunch, we explored the market. There was Merczi and Bong Bong's pasalubong stores. Its location is strategic because visitors coming to the beach resorts at Punta Salong and those visitors going home may purchase some pasalubong from Merczi and Bong Bong's.

Passing by the church, so many thoughts flashed in my mind. The structures that were familiar to my childhood were no longer there but a new and modern one replaced them. 

The present church looks modern. Every time I look at it, I was reminded of the Sydney Opera House in Australia - where I lived for months to spend school time at the University of Canberra. 😀

And I felt proud to see how the church looks today. I cannot explain why but I had that feeling. Maybe because I have seen how it looked before. Feeling ko lang, haha. I took some photos of the church in my last visit, few months ago.

* * * * * * * *

Map of Negros Island showing the municipality of Manapla on the northwestern tip of the island facing Panay. (Source: bingdotcom) Disclaimer: We do not own this image (map). Copyright Infringement Not Intendeded. Thank you. 

* * * * * * * * * *

How to get there? 

From Bacolod City, Manapla is around one hour. You can also take the Ceres Bus from the North Terminal at Bata Pepsi.

From San Carlos City, Manapla is around 2 hours and 30 minutes. 

From Silay International Airport, Manapla is 30 minutes or less than an hour. 

Wait, wait. Manapla has a Ceres Bus Terminal that can connect you to Bacolod City or to other towns in Northern Negros such as: Cadiz, Sagay, Escalante, Toboso, Calatrava and San Carlos City. 

* * * * * * * * * 

Where to eat?

Since Manapla is near the capital city - Bacolod, most visitors do a half-day tour, for example, morning tour and have their lunch in Bacolod City or Silay City.

Other visitors visit the beaches and resorts for picnic, and they bring their own food. 

There are coffee shops in Manapla that serve not only coffee and cold drinks but a wide selection of food too. 

My suggestions:

1. Koffi Kat, which is located at Barangay Punta Mesa, Manapla. 

2. Cotamila Coffee, on Mabini Street.   

3. Northland Hotel along the national highway.

4. Several beach resorts along Punta Salong coastline. For example, Balulan Beach, they have a canteen where you can make an advance notice to prepare your lunch. These beach resorts along the coastline of Punta Salong have cottages for rent and they have restrooms, and improvised shower area with water supply from the tap or faucet.

Balulan Beach.

5. Gracia Resort is located at the hilly portion of Sitio Gutusan, Barangay Punta Mesa. 

6. Ceferina Beach. 

Ceferina Beach Resort.

To be sure, bring your own food when you travel to any town in the province. In my case, I bring Styrofoam Box filled with drinks, and water. I also bring food packs mostly rice and adobo since the latter does not easily get spoiled, so to speak. This time I did not carry my styrofoam box because "gusto ko gid mangina-on, tani, sa Koffi Kat, haha." 

In nearby Cadiz, a city next to Manapla there are fastfood chains like McDonald's and Jollibee. There is also SM Mall and for sure, there is a food court where popular food chains in the country have a franchisee. 

* * * * * * * * 

 Experiencing Cotamila Coffee Shop

Located on Mabini Street, Manapla, Cotamila Coffee is one of the nearest coffee shops in the center of town. 

Cotamila Coffee shop. 


* * * * * * * * 

My instant travel buddies Marlon & Fatima experiencing Cotamila Coffee.
Native Coffee for Marlon and Iced Kiwi for Fatima. 
I had Iced Americano and Pizza.

* * * * * * * * 

* * * * * * * 
Wait, you can click the link below so you can see the Cotamila Coffee in action. 

* * * * * * * * 

Things to do in Manapla 

1. Bonding with friends and family on the beach. Manapla has several tourist resorts on the seaside and on the farm. For example, Gracia Resort, Northland Resort, Balulan Resort, and Ceferina Beach Resort, among others. 

2. Beach Volleyball. One of the famous venues for beach volleyball in the '90s is Ceferina Beach Resort. The resort once hosted a BV Tournament.


Ceferina Beach Resort Volleyball Court.

3. Kapihan Hopping. Located in different areas of the town are coffee shops that offer caffein pleasure and cozy spot to relax. Take for example, Koffi Kat, Cotamila Coffee, Kapehan ni Bitoy, 7 Eleven, among others. Is Kapehan ni Bitoy "On Air"? so to speak. 

4. Historical Tour at Gaston Mansion and Hacienda Santa Rosalia Chapel now known as the Chapel of the Cartwheels. Ask permission from the owner to climb the tower and have 360 degrees view of the whole town and the neighboring areas. 

5. Visit the Dr. Ramon B. Gustilo Hospital and know their Orthopedics & Surgical Services. 

Gustilo Town Center

6. Spend your weekend vacation at Northland Hotel and Resort.

7. Hold your weddings, birthdays, training seminars in the beach resorts and hotel in Manapla. Recently, coffee shops had been the choice of couples for their wedding venue. 

8. Hold your pre-nuptial pictorials, wedding reception, meetings, and other special events in event places in Manapla. 

9. Attend the fiesta of Manapla in honor of Senor San Roque.  

10. Attend the Manang Pula Fest.

11. Visit a sugarcane farm and experience the life with the farm workers. 

12. Buy Pasalubong from Merczi and Bong Bong's located at Manapla Market.

**Other activities that your heart desires.

* * * * * * * * 

Finally, Manapla has changed, it has developed. The places that I used to roam and walked are a new place today. New structures have risen. A new church was built, more businesses have been established, and the road network has been improved. Manapla is now home to a modern Orthopedic and Surgical hospital. Development may be slow but at least it is coming. 

Manapla ceased to be a sleeping town. With the hour-to-hour movement of Ceres Bus and other cars visiting the town, Manapla is becoming an exciting place to chill and relax. 

Please find your spot. I spotted mine, "kaya lang cerrado, hindi abierto, haha..."

* * * * * * * * 

A silent short clip of Hacienda Santa Rosalia Chapel. Now known as Chapel of the Cartwheels. 
Source: YouTube by Henry Touristang Pobre.

* * * * * * *

Through this Blog, I wish to spread, among my readers and followers, the extent of development that Manapla is experiencing right now. Please help us spread the good news about Manapla's growth and development. 

Please LIKE our Facebook Page and SHARE this Blog with your friends. 

Thank you, Xie Xie, Spasiba, Arigato, Grazie, Shukran, Salamat, Gracias, Khopkhun, Gamsahapnida, and more. Ciao', Arrivederci, Adios, Au Revoir, Hafa Adai, Sayonara, Aloha, and more. 

* * * * * * * * * 

Wait, wait. You may want to know more about coffee shops that are doing business in other parts of Negros, please click the links below: 

1. ABACA CAFE' THE BEST COFFEE HOUSE IN THE SOUTH - Touristang Pobre

2. KIKULAS CAFE: A COFFE SHOP ON THE HILL - Touristang Pobre

3. SALVADOR BENEDICTO: PANGAPE SA HIGAD DALAN - Touristang Pobre

4. RESORT: LA BLANCA AT MASULOG LA CASTELLANA - Touristang Pobre  

This Blog also features the 13th Cafe located at Barangay Masulog - Canlaon Road. 

5. FRESCA NGA HANGIN SA BUKID - Touristang Pobre

Lantawan View Cafe is located along the Silay-Lantawan Road. In fact, the whole stretch of this road has several coffee houses. 

* * * * * * * * 



 

About the writer

*The Blogger, Henry Libo-on had been an Executive Assistant (P.A.) to the Governor of Negros Occidental and then Mayor of **Bacolod City, Honorable Alfredo L. Montelibano, Jr. 
****He was a travel writer and columnist of WHAT'S ON (In the Visayas and Mindanao), a tourist guide magazine published in Cebu and distributed all over Vis-Min areas. 
******He was formerly an OIC-City Planning and Development Officer of Bacolod City Government.
*******He was a former writer and columnist of the Negros Daily Bulletin published in Bacolod City and distributed all over Negros Occidental and the Western Visayas Region. 
*****He was a former member of the Negros Press Club.
*****He finished a leadership training at the National Defense College of the Philippines, FLP Class #9, under the auspices of the Civil Service Commission and the National Defense College of the Philippines, Fort Bonifacio, Makati City. 
*****He attended a short course on Designing Sustainable Development (master's in urban management) at the University of Canberra, Australia. 
*****He was a past President of the Blue & Gold Alumni Association of ONI, UNO, and UNO-R.
*****He was past Auditor, and Member of the Board, Boy Scouts of the Philippines, Bacolod City Council.
*****He was a former Instructor and Professor, BSN, and MN at Riverside College, Bacolod City.
*****He was a former Member of the Local School Board, Bacolod City
*****He was a former President of the Bacolod City-Wide Federation of PTA.
*****He was awarded as Outstanding City Government Employee of Bacolod City Government.
*****He was awarded as Outstanding Alumnus of the University of Negros Occidental - Recoletos in the field of Public Administration.
*****As a singer and representative of Bacolod City High School to the Provincial Athletic Association Meet - Literary Musical Vocal Solo Competition circa 1968-69, he brought honor to City High by winning the Championship, o' di ba ang saya? 
*****He is currently a Blogger - Touristang Pobre.blogger.com    and a YouTuber - Henry Estado Squad.
*****He is a Lifetime Member of the Negrense Blogging Society. 
*****He is an author of the unpublished book titled - "The River Keeps Flowing".
*****He is currently based in the U.S. but calls Bacolod City and Negros Occidental his home.

Ciao' .......






MANAPLA: CHASING THE CAT THAT NEVER WAS Reviewed by Touristang Pobre on 10:50:00 AM Rating: 5

No comments:

Share your awesome thoughts on this post.

All Rights Reserved by Touristang Pobre © 2014 - 2016

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Theme images by konradlew. Powered by Blogger.